Book a Consultation Online Now or Call 0491 155 129Book Now
About OsteopathyOsteopathy is a form of manual therapy that recognises the important link between the structure of the body and the way that it functions. Osteopaths focus on how the skeleton, joints, muscles, nerves, connective tissues, circulation and connective tissues function together as a holistic unit.
In Australia Osteopaths are government registered practitioners who have completed a minimum of 5 years of university training in anatomy, physiology, pathology, general medical diagnosis and osteopathic diagnosis and techniques. Osteopaths are primary healthcare practitioners and as such are trained to recognise conditions that require medical referral.
Using skilled evaluation and diagnosis Osteopaths can help to identify the cause of your pain or injury. They will then work with you to develop an individualised course of action to manage your pain and help you return to your normal activities.
We can help you with:
- back and neck pain
- headaches, migraines and jaw pain
- hip, knee, ankle and foot pain
- hand, elbow and shoulder pain
- injury prevention & performance enhancement
- pregnancy related pain & pelvic instability
- sporting injuries such as ligament sprains & muscle strains
- traumatic injuries such as whiplash injuries
- unsettled babies eg colic, feeding difficulties, hip problems
What to expectAt your first appointment Alison will take a thorough history of your presenting complaint, and your previous medical history.
She will then conduct an osteopathic examination, including any necessary orthopaedic, neurological or other tests. This examination will take into account not just the area of pain but also any other areas that may be contributing to or affected by your pain.
Alison will discuss your diagnosis with you, as well as a treatment plan which includes not just hands on manual therapy but also any exercises, stretches or ergonomic advice indicated by the examination.
Treatment will include a variety of techniques such as stretching, massage, mobilisation and manipulation.
Bookings, Fees and Insurance
- Bookings can be made online or by calling 0491155129. If you look online and cannot find a time to suit, please call, as we may be able to accomodate you.
- Fees are $120 for an initial consultation (60-75min) and $85 for any subsequent consultations (40min). We do have concession rates for children, students and health care concession card holders.
- Osteopathy is covered by most private health funds, although the amount of the rebate varies from policy to policy, Check with your insurer to find out more. We have HICAPS so if you bring your health fund card and we can claim on the spot for you.
- Osteopaths come under the Medicare Enhanced Primary Care Plan, and are registered providers for DVA, motor accident insurers and Workers Compensation. You will need a referral from your GP for Medicare and DVA services.
- If you need to cancel your appointment we ask that you please notify us the day before. This allows us to offer the appointment to someone else who may need it. Late cancellations and no show appointments are subject to a fee at the discretion of the practitioner.
About JessicaJessica Cohen has always had a passion for a healthy active lifestyle and is dedicated to her patients being able to enjoy the same. Becoming a yoga teacher at 21 and snowboard instructor at 22, keeping active and assisting in the training of others has always been a skill that Jess is continually evolving. Jess believes that playing several sports in her younger years coupled with her training as an osteopath has given her a strong advantage when it comes to treating, understanding injuries and human movement.
Jess aims to treat each patient with an individual holistic approach, taking into account the whole body in each consult. She is experienced in structural treatment approaches and is passionate about treating people from all walks of life with an interest in women’s health and helping women pre and post pregnancy.
Jess discovered Osteopathy after eight seasons snowboard teaching and coaching left her body with numerous aches and pains that years of treatment from various other modalities could not seem to shift. After her first osteopathic treatment jess was impressed with the osteopathic holistic treatment ideology and also the education and management around each individual patient.
Jess loves enjoying the spoils of the Northern Rivers region and now stays healthy with yoga and surfing and chasing around her 12-month-old baby boy. She also teaches yoga in Lennox Head and trains yoga teachers in anatomy, techniques and philosophy with Akhanda Yoga Australia on the Gold Coast.
About Alison - currently on maternity leave
"Structure and Function are interrelated; a change in one will cause a change in the other."This statement, a core element of the osteopathic philosophy, is what first drew Alison to osteopathy. Having already studied Exercise and Sport Science she embarked on a further 5 years of university study to become an osteopath.
This unique combination of skills has lead her to work with the Australian Paralympic Ski Team and other elite athletes from sports such as sailing, athletics, basketball, cricket and Nordic skiing. She also has plenty of experience treating everyday athletes and non-athletes, pregnant women and children.
Alison has worked in a busy osteopathic practice in Sydney and has just returned from Canada where she was working with a leading functional medicine doctor who specialised in brain function and health. Here she gained significant skills in treating both acute concussions and post-concussion syndrome.
As an osteopath Alison uses a wide variety of osteopathic techniques in a manner that specifically tailors the treatment to the individual patient and their body. She also prescribes appropriate lifestyle modifications, exercises and ergonomic interventions as needed.
Alison enjoys working with people to better understand their bodies and to get them moving as well as possible, whatever their pursuits may be. She is a member of Osteopathy Australia, and regularly completes Continuing Professional Development courses and seminars to ensure she stays up to date with current trends and research.
Alison also works as a Clinical Supervisor of 4th and 5th year Osteopathy students in the Health Clinic at Southern Cross University.
Dr Alison Daniel (Osteopath)
BAppSc(Osteo), M Osteo, BAppSc(Ex&SpSc).
Do you have any questions? Please get in touch!